Bill Hill's Gold

Moderator: Jim_b

Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Bill Hill's Gold

Post by Space Cowboy »

Does anyone know Bill Hill's story? He's mentioned occasionally in Desert Magazine, and once a DM writer, looking for a cache of guns supposedly somewhere in the Myer's Valley/In-Ko-Pah area, said this was roughly where Bill Hill's famous gold mine is. There's no article in DM about Hill, or William T. Hills. I know his birth date, when and where he's buried, know about his family and have visited his cave, but I can't say I've ever heard the story of Bill Hill and his 'Famous Mine'.

Does anyone know mining or natural resource laws for Mexico from 1900 to, say, 1920?

Has anyone ever heard anything about the Slim Mo Mine, possibly the Slim Mo 5 Mine? Would anyone know where I could get info on mines for San Diego County. I came across the Slim Mo when I was hiking up Devils Canyon in the Jacumba Mountains. Any sign of a road had disappeared long before I came to the edge of the ridge overlooking Dos Cabezas. Just off the drop-off was a prominent hole. I crawled down to it, and it was a vertical shaft that appeared to be pretty much filled in, but there were several timbers sitting close to the top. Sitting on it all was a cross-beam, and etched deeply into the wood was 'Slim Mo'. The picture I have of it doesn't show it, but I thought it read 'Slim Mo 5'.

All help greatly appreciated,

Space Cowboy
historik951
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Bill Hill's Gold

Post by historik951 »

Hi Space,
What issue of Desert Magazine was the story in ??? And have you tried to contact his family ??? If not, I may know how to break the ice ( if you have their info )....

Thx
Histork951