found some fire opal this summer

shining sun
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

found some fire opal this summer

Post by shining sun »

I found a piece of fire opal near the Pullman, WA airport where lots of people hike and walk their dogs. The guy at the local rockshop says it is not native to here but Mexico, and that someone probably dropped it. It is about an inch long in a pinkish matrix and the colors are unbelievable. Very bright red and green! The only thing wrong is that it must have been there for a long time and is a bit fractured. I say a rock I thought was rhyolite and it looked out of place, turned it over and voila!
Speaking of rhyolite, I found the most beautiful large chunk of wonderstone I've ever seen at the local thrift shop. It has a fist sized natural hole in the center, and the bulls eyes are so defined I thought someone had painted it at first. But it is real. I'll try to get some photos.
roc2rol

Re: found some fire opal this summer

Post by roc2rol »

just to follow up
you doing good shining sun?
I got a slab of lepidolite
whilst in Tucson

I'll post a pic --when you do ;)
hope all's well
Ed
shining sun

Post by shining sun »

Well I finally managed to log in! I got a new password and now it works OK. Anyway, I'm better, but pneumonia is miserable. Hopefully, I'll be hiking ready soon.
I have to take some pics of my rocks and carefully follow the posting directions. Last time I tried it I didn't do it right and it upset the DC guy a little. (he doesn't seem to be around anymore however).

Lepidolite and aventurine are wonderful! They have a subtle shimmer that is very appealing. I've heard that a lot of lepidolite is found in California. I have yet to find a piece anywhere! I've just found it at rock displays and have earrings made of it.
I've promised myself that sometime soon I'll get to one of those huge rock shows. I'd like to find a nice chrysanthemum stone! I believe this is a type of porphyry, like the Chinese writing stone I have in my collection. So many rocks in the world.....
I might trade my nice fire opal for something if anyone is interested
Have a wonderful 3 day weekend everyone!
Shining sun
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Trading rocks is happening activity.
People be surprised how many rocks are sent thru the mail by rock hounds.

Here is picture of lepidolite I got in Tucson.
Hopefully I’ll be able to work a piece of it soon.

Enjoy

Ed
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I was lucky enough to pick up some Mexican fire opal at a pow wow in the spring of 2010 just b4 my accident. Amazing stuff! I keep the container about 1/3 filled with mountain spring water. Stops the fracturing and illuminates the shimmerin colour.