Joe Ribaudo
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Doodles made by Jacob Waltz

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Just in case, I will repost this here:

[Postby Joe Ribaudo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 am

RMG1976 wrote:
Unlocked - no more drama / no more name calling.

Please.

Ryan,

That sounds good. I will take you at your word that you are reformed.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo]

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Choto,

Here is the least expensive, soft cover, of Cynthia's book I could find:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... dded%3Dall

There are a number of copies available, including hardbacks. It's a great source book for anyone interested in Mexico's history.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
jhowlett

Post by jhowlett »

Wayne great time lines, what about another (Spanish family) before the Peralta's maybe making the find and because of the danger only shortly mining it or planning to but never did mine it. There is something I have found that points possibly to an earlier group of Spaniards. Could the stones, fish map and such be copies of a much earlier map i.e. maps? Jeff.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

jhowlett wrote:Wayne great time lines, what about another (Spanish family) before the Peralta's maybe making the find and because of the danger only shortly mining it or planning to but never did mine it. There is something I have found that points possibly to an earlier group of Spaniards. Could the stones, fish map and such be copies of a much earlier map i.e. maps? Jeff.
The only other family associated with mining in the Superstitions, and contemporary with the Peraltas, and familiar with as part of the mining and massacre legend of 1848, was the Gonzales family.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peralta_massacre
I think it's possible that natives familiar with the area also were aware of places out there where certain minerals could be found. Although they themselves had little or no use for gold,silver,iron, lead and copper, they may have been persuaded by early explorers to show them where the deposits were, or even traded ore they had collected themselves for more tangible goods.
Any map can be a copy or revised version of an earlier map.....just like the new city maps we all buy every couple of years. If you have a GPS, you will want to update it every once in a while as well. Can't see why folks wouldn't have made changes for similar reasons back then as well.
Choto

Post by Choto »

American and French trappers explored the area as early as 1825.

"While Americans could obtain permission to live in the region, Mexican officials would not license them to trap there. This made the trapping expeditions by American mountain men to the remote Gila, Salt and Colorado Rivers not only dangerous, but illegal and subject to fines and imprisonment as well.

James Ohio Pattie, who led an 1825 trapping expedition into eastern Arizona-where beaver were plentiful-was the earliest. Western Apaches killed one of the expedition members and the men lost their horses to an Indian raid. When Pattie went back to recover the cached furs, they were missing.

The following year Pattie joined an expedition put together by Miguel Robidoux. That party was welcomed at a Pima (Akimel O'odham) village at the confluence of the Salt and Gila Rivers and its members were invited to stay overnight. Pattie and another trapper wisely refused to stay the night; all those who stayed in the village, except Robidoux, were killed while they slept. The three survivors then joined with a trapping party headed by Ewing Young. After extracting retribution on the village, they proceeded to trap on the Salt and Verde Rivers, and then went down the Gila to the Colorado."

Days Past: An introduction to the most famous of fur trappers in early Arizona
Choto

Post by Choto »

"While Walz' possible possession of a rich mine years ago is debunked, certain facts are indisputable:
  • -He had much gold.
    -So did Peralta, who paid tithes to the Catholic Church on an annual income of $1 million.
    -In 1914 C.H. Silverlock carted out $18,000 worth of gold...
    -In 1958 a man Piper knows only as Brown found $23,000 worth of pure gold in a small vase hidden in a crevice at Weaver's Needle."
Lost Dutchman Gold Mine Lures Arizona 'King of the Mountains'
THE STARS AND STRIPES 1961

The "smoking gun" that everyone has been looking for if Piper's source can be found.
Anyone know where to look?

______

A side note about Weaver's Needle...
Weaver's Needle (El sombrero) has had MANY claims filed on and around it. C. Jones worked the area. Piper had 30 claims "in" the Needle, one near the top which he said had an opening, a needle eye, until 1954 (1854? illegible) when a cloudburst caused the eye to collapse.
Piper.JPG
Piper shot Robert St. Marie on Weaver's, eventually ruled self-defense.
St. Marie.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rough Draft

Post by Rough Draft »

Nice pictures, thanks. Do you know who the guy with Ed Piper is?
Choto

Post by Choto »

Rough Draft wrote:Nice pictures, thanks. Do you know who the guy with Ed Piper is?
The Pinal County Sheriff I am assuming.
Which should have been Coy DeArman.

I just sent the photo to the Pinal County Sheriffs office for you and asked if anyone there could confirm the identity. Surprisingly, that office doesn't keep a list of sheriffs by year.

I will post the response when it comes.

BTW, Celeste Jones is reported to have filed 36 claims in the area.
Piper 30.
At least 66 claims in an area void of gold.

Even Fish had something to say about El Sombrero.
Last edited by Choto on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Roberts

Post by Matthew Roberts »

choto,

The man in the photo with Ed Piper is Pinal County Sheriff Laurence White.

Matthew Roberts
Choto

Post by Choto »

Matthew Roberts wrote:choto,

The man in the photo with Ed Piper is Pinal County Sheriff Laurence White.

Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts,
You continue to impress me.

Best,
Choto