Doodles made by Jacob Waltz

Moderator: Jim_b

somehiker
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Doodles made by Jacob Waltz

Post by somehiker »

AshtonPage wrote:Hey All,

In the thread “Did Waltz lie to Julia and Reiney” - SomeHiker asked what the Doodle shows – which is a good question because the general agreement is; there is no general agreement on what the Doodle shows. Which started me thinking...

The interesting is that except for Weaver’s Needle, the doodle doesn’t seem to show anything in particular - which is not what one would expect from a drawing whose express purpose should be to show something in particular. This makes the doodle itself is sort of a mystery – UNLESS our reports of Waltz saying that you could walk right past the mine and never see it are accurate. My point is that according to Waltz, for some unknown reason you really can’t see the mine - even when you’re close to it. Now if you can’t see the mine distinctly then you can’t draw the mine distinctly.

I’m saying that if the mine is so well camouflaged that you can’t draw an effective picture showing “this is it” then the most probable thing I would expect someone would draw is; what you see when you are at the mine. Just something to think about and perhaps it gives some credibility to the position that the doodle might be showing “this is what you see when you are at the mine.”

Best,
Ashton
Ashton:

I,for one, am inclined to agree with some of your thoughts.
And if it's true that Julia and Rhiney never made it to the top of the main mountain, that they may have realized their mistake in trying to do so.
I wasn't thinking of the "doodle" when I shot this photo,or another taken nearby, which when placed together can make up an impressive rendition of the sketch. I was instead more taken with the view from a place where I had found an oval area of small rocks, gathered and placed white side up and fairly level with the surrounding surface.
This photo was taken from an old trail, worn deeply into the rock in places, which follows a "lofty ridge" deep into the mountains.

Regards:Somehiker
Last edited by somehiker on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

From the position where the photo above was shot, 90 deg. to the left and looking down about 100 ft. away, the trail is easy to see.

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

The white rocks.

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Having spent some time this morning, looking over the other photo, I don't think I would have drawn my own sketch much differently.
But from what I can make out, by enlarging it, it looks like I'll be taking a hike back out for a closer look and more pictures.
And taking a copy of my version with me.

Regards:somehiker
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Hi Somehiker,

Looks interesting. Your interpertation of the doodle looks as good as any I've seen.

Thanks for sharing and good luck to you.

Best,
Ashton
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Ashton:

Still, it's only another interpretation.. :|
But if I get to that column of rock at the bottom, and it really does look like an indian face looking upward in that direction....
I'm still pretty busy with my own Stone Map project though, so I may wait until a couple of friends can join me. Meanwhile, I did confirm last spring that the white/brown rocks were used to fill a dig of some kind. I have no idea how deep it goes, but it's in black/red rock with quartz evident.

Regards:SH.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

While I do not ever trust the "things" that so many seem to be able to "see" on Google Earth.
Having inspected so many points of interest, only to find them nothing like what can be "imagined" from viewing the sat views.
I still do some previewing of various areas with G/E and F/E, marking further points for on site inspection.
I also have a look, after finding something interesting out there, at whether or not it is visible and recognizable on the sat views.Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

This snip for example, of a G/E view, shows a small rectangular object on the ground.
With the the following, a real photograph of the object...a very old shaker box.

I even have a downloaded G/E view of my rental car,which was parked off the side of the Apache Trail at that exact spot on one particular day only. Another vehicle, much larger than mine, was parked nearby that same day and is easily recognizable in the sat view.This means that while I was shooting photos on the ground, I was being photographed by satellite from above.What are the odds ?

This next one is a sat view of the "medicine wheel" in my photo found in the "Legends and Lore/Native History" discussion.

Since posting my version of Waltz's doodle, I have had a look at what might be seen on the other side of the ridge, where I have added the upper ravine.
Here is a crop of what it looks like from my vantage point in my photo.

And here is what can be seen in the G/E view of the Ravine itself.
Just below the pushpin is what I would call a "point of interest".

Regards:somehiker
393stroker

Post by 393stroker »

THIS LOOKs LIKE THE WALTZ DOODLE TO ME
Last edited by 393stroker on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
393stroker

Post by 393stroker »

is THIS THE PLACE ,,,,,,,the problem is this site is not user friendly,,,,, fix it,,..///
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

About a week ago I went out to have a look at the area which I had selected as possibly related to the Waltz Sketch. Since I had no photo which allowed me to see what was beyond the formation which I thought to be depicted in the drawing, I had looked at the area via G/E and included that G/E view in my last post. Here are the photographic results of my hike...... The ravine (looking down at the creek far below)..the ledge..and the "mine" (pretty tight but doable)...

I wasn't the first to have been there.

Regards:Somehiker