Sombrero Mt.

Moderator: somehiker

Jim Hatt

Re: Sombrero Mt.

Post by Jim Hatt »

Twoguns,

Your images from page two of this topic Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 am are not coming up. Have you removed them, or moved them to another folder in your Photobucket account?

:(

Jim
AZ~ThunderDan
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by AZ~ThunderDan »

Greetings all. While I may be new to this site, I'm certainly not new to the chat board experience. Being the current Site Administrator on a leading AZ Hunting discussion board, I can definitely relate to the day-to-day tasks involved in keeping a board top-notched - just like this one. And while I openly acknowledge this may not be the appropriate place for new member introductions, I think if you read on you'll understand why I chose this thread to do so.

Now - a little about myself: Retired railroad conductor with 34-yrs of service, and one who loves the great outdoors... for all the magnificent wonders it can offer the motivated explorer.

I believe it's important to start out here by saying I've known "twoguns" for over 42-years now, and that it's accurate to describe him as one of my all-time best friends. One thing I can say for sure is, he can be extremely difficult to communicate with, and while he may be many things to many people, he's a most persistent individual when he thinks he's right. He's also not one to take others advice, nor exhibit much patience when it's probably in his best interest. Having said all that, I also think he see's things on Google Earth images that most others generally don't. Many of his Google images are as equally ambiguous as his claims, but I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've also known about his alleged discovery of the Sombrero Mine for well over a year now, and I've even joined him on an effort to hike into it. To date, I have no doubts that he's found a "place" where all of Waltz's clues exist (and those of others). What I don't know is, if he's actually found the mine of the famed Lost Dutchman, or a place that's synonymous with many of the clues.

Against most of my advice, his foremost goal was to make the history books as being the first person to actually solve the location of the "Holy Grail of all lost treasures". I've encouraged him from the beginning to; (1) find the mine/vein and secure a small sampling of the ore, (2) take pictures of any evidence that would undeniably prove his claim, (3) be patient in his endeavors, and (4) to keep his mouth shut until he had undeniable proof. Unfortunately, he's not adhered to any of those suggestions, and the reason is simply due to the fact that he's insanely fearful of being prosecuted for violating any Wilderness Act laws. Unfortunately once again, any good reason or due diligence on his part, has been clouded by his deep-rooted fear of prosecution.

I'd like to end by saying how disappointed I am that he's announced to the world where the famed mine is possibly located, and that I also can't believe he's posted a detailed map of where "X marks the spot" on the web. This can't possibly be in his best interest. :roll: And finally, if this "place" is the actual location of the famed mine or not, it will certainly come to light soon enough. My personal congrat's to twoguns for making the history books, but I'm deeply disappointed in the decisions/choices he's made. Personally, I believe he's assured himself as being "the biggest loser" on his alleged discovery.

Take care all, and Happy Trails!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

AZ~ThunderDan,

Hello Dan and welcome to the DUSA Forums!

Twoguns is very fortunate to have a clear thinking and loyal friend like yourself to bounce his ideas and theories off of.

I have done my best to keep him from getting "wrapped around the axle" and jumping to conclusions about what he has found. (A lot of it was done via private e-mails) It appears that you and I have been telling him pretty much the same things.

I do believe he is in an area that has a lot of potential for being the location of a very old Spanish/Mexican mine of considerable importance/value, but I do not believe it is the LDM or so-called Sombrero Mine.

I fully understand your feelings about the amount of detailed information he has posted in the open forum here, and if you can get him to agree, I would have no reservation about deleting this entire topic, so that the two of you can continue your work in that area without worrying about others interfering with you out there.

That said... I can also understand his desire to go "On the record" for where he believes the "End of the rainbow" is, just in case someone else comes along behind him (using his information) and finds "IT" before he does. He will at least be able to say "I was there first"! ;)

Let me know if you guys want this topic removed or not.

Best,

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

He's posted enougn specific information on a number of other forums now as well as his own website to direct people right to where he suspects his mine is located.

I'm sure someone has visited it by now - whatever may have been in there from any historical standpoint could very well be gone.

It's NEVER a good idea imho to post things publicly that would best be served done privately.

Just my $0.02
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Jim posted:
I fully understand your feelings about the amount of detailed information he has posted in the open forum here, and if you can get him to agree, I would have no reservation about deleting this entire topic, so that the two of you can continue your work in that area without worrying about others interfering with you out there.
That is a kind offer, but I agree with cub, for better or worst - the cat is out of the bag.

TradClimber
AZ~ThunderDan

Post by AZ~ThunderDan »

Jim, your decision to discipline twoguns is certainly not mine to critique, and I'm sure by now you've noticed I was carbon copied the email he sent you yesterday? He referred to my contribution here with an adjective I can't share. Unfortunately, he's now proclaiming our 42-year friendship ended yesterday.

I'm thinking out loud here, but I honestly think the truth about his indiscretions is starting to sink in, and that he's beginning to realize his 'house of cards' is coming down around him. Hopefully someday, he'll realize he was the lone carpenter that built it.

Not knowing all the other forums he's been posting on, but it would be interesting to see a cut/paste comment list from those who are also chanting the mantra of "what a horrible mistake" he's made.

Take care, and Happy Trails!
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Thunder Dan - I'm always sorry to hear of a friendship gone sour. I hope as time marches on, he'll come to see that this was all of his own making. Friendships in this lifetime are ultimately far more important than locating or discovering any treasure - at least in my opinion they are.

There were a number of different directions Twoguns could have taken to present his evidence as well as follow up on it. Every year there are a multitude of folks who make the exact same claims Twoguns did - they've interpretted clues in such a way to convince themselves that they are THE ONLY ONES who know the true location of a gold mine in the Superstitions. The thing is, each person is inevitably in a different location!

It's just the way it is.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

AZ~ThunderDan wrote:Jim, your decision to discipline twoguns is certainly not mine to critique, and I'm sure by now you've noticed I was carbon copied the email he sent you yesterday? He referred to my contribution here with an adjective I can't share. Unfortunately, he's now proclaiming our 42-year friendship ended yesterday.

Hi Dan,

Actually it was a small and temporary action to remind him (again) how we feel about people removing photos from their posts here at DUSA. He would have probably been far better off in the long run to have kept it private between himself and I. I'm sorry it "Flared" him to the point of taking it out on you.

I would have thought he should have felt completely "vented" by the time he finished the email he sent to me. :lol:

Best,

Jim