OHV Fund budget

Brew

Re: OHV Fund budget

Post by Brew »

I did attend todays meeting. The legislature still wants to take $5million from the Grants Program. By popular vote, we decided to take it out of the Restoration category.

Brew
Dan

Post by Dan »

Brew wrote:I did attend todays meeting. The legislature still wants to take $5million from the Grants Program. By popular vote, we decided to take it out of the Restoration category.

Brew
Lemme guess... the legislature isn't willing to discuss any bill forcing them to pay it back from the general fund to the OHV Grants Program. Am I right?
Sal

Post by Sal »

During the meeting it was pointed out that the State “borrowed” 90M from the Trust fund 3 years ago, which will be due in FY13/14 (it was a 4-year loan) and 21M was borrowed last year which is also due in Fy13/14 (2-year loan).
Brew

Post by Brew »

Sal wrote:During the meeting it was pointed out that the State “borrowed” 90M from the Trust fund 3 years ago, which will be due in FY13/14 (it was a 4-year loan) and 21M was borrowed last year which is also due in Fy13/14 (2-year loan).
The $21M is a THREE year loan. It starts June of 2011 and ends June of 2014.

1. The Director of Finance may
transfer up to $21,000,000 as
a loan to the General Fund,
which shall be repaid by June
30, 2014.

Brew
Sal

Post by Sal »

By popular vote, we decided to take it out of the Restoration category.

the Commission can't do that. The allocation of grants is determined legislatively as percentages. The proposal from the budget conference committee takes $5 million from grants; so the 20% that goes to restoration would be impacted proportionately.
Brew

Post by Brew »

I didn't say that the Commission voted on it. We, a few of us in the hallway during a break, voted for it. Just wanted to see the response from the folks here. :lol:

Brew
Dan

Post by Dan »

Yeah, the State of California can't take money from special funds created with the taxes on a specific group of citizens and use it for the General Fund, either. But they did.
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

I hope the whole program goes away. I get real tired of spending my money on programs it is not used correctly for. Let's see how the eco nuts like not being funded for enforcement. I actually talked to a COW member and that was her take on the OHV fund. She want's it to go away also. So I agree with her.
Dan

Post by Dan »

The legislature in the State of California has a stranglehold on permanent power. They are accountable to no one. They are like crack dealers with their entire constituency hooked on handouts and unlimited expenditures on pet projects. Their M.O. is to create special revenue streams, promise it will not be used for anything else, then turn right around and take it for something that will get them re-elected. They should be in jail.
Sal

Post by Sal »

OHV fund allows this to happen to our beautiful deserts.