no trespassing signs

Sal

no trespassing signs

Post by Sal »

Brew

Re: no trespassing signs

Post by Brew »

I wouldn't use the first two photos to make a point that OHVers damaged the sign. Hunters are the only ones I know that would have a shotgun to do the damage. The sign post looks like it may have tipped over on it's own, no bend in the pipe.
No vehicle tracks in the photo.

Ride on
Brewster
MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by MMM »

The sign with the hole in the middle is consistant with a close ranged shotgun blast. I know few, if any, OHV riders, with the exception of hunters, who carry shotguns on their quads and I have never seen a bike with a shotgun.

I need to take a photo of the snow play people who come to my area, showing literly hundreds of people who have climbed over barbed wire fences, or cut them, behind well posted no trespassing signs. By the way, the first photos do not show any OHV/bike tacks. Only the last one shows what may be used by only one or two bikes. I am not saying the bike riders are right, they are not. What I am saying is simple. Trespassing is a common and all to common occurance. Please do not assume that only OHV riders can or will remove the signs.

Mike
Dezertfox

Post by Dezertfox »

Who on earth would want to clutter that beautiful scenery with those ugly signs? Were those pictures taken recently? Where? I have to take my family out for a day out to see all the spring desert beauty :P Thanks for posting those pictures :mrgreen:
Sal

Post by Sal »

the signs were put up to keep off-road vehicles from destroying the landscape. they were taken in the spring a couple years ago. Conditions are almost the same right now with lots of wildflowers in bloom.
Dan

Post by Dan »

In your opinion, Sal, do your pictures depict "destruction of the landscape"?
Sal

Post by Sal »

what is shown here, pal, are photos depicting riders' destruction of signs and breaking the law by riding where signs legally bar them.

The owners of the properties in the photos didn't want trails to be ridden on them. Is there something in the Constitution that allows riders to break these explicit laws?

If somebody made a trail through your yard would you call it an impact? destruction? What if your yard was the result of nature evolving over millenia? Would you call it destruction then?

every one of the 12-foot-wide trails scarring the hillsides of Bean Canyon began as an innocuous looking trail like in the photos. With repeated use, they widen and after awhile, runoff and erosion do their work and vegetation can never regrow there.
MMM

Post by MMM »

sal writes "vegetation can never regrow there." Never sal? You ask not to be mailgned or criticised, yet you make statements like this. This just opens the door for said criticism. I posted where in my area literly hundreds of people at the same time openly and willingly violate no trespassing signs to play in the snow, leaving damage to the forest, trash and cut fences. yet no comment from you sal.

sal continues "every one of the 12-foot-wide trails scarring the hillsides of Bean Canyon began as an innocuous looking trail like in the photos. With repeated use, they widen and after awhile, runoff and erosion do their work and vegetation can never regrow there." I know of many places in the Nevada desert where trails are cut, not by OHV riders, but wild horses, jackasses (donkeys) deer, and other assorted wildlife and they look exactly the same as trails made by OHVs. amazing huh?

sal anthing we do, as a species will impact nature. It is a fact.

I am at the point of posting photos of untouched, prestene desert areas every time you, sal, post a hillclimb or other narrowly focused image of a lone act of illegal riding. I am willing to bet that there are thousands of photos of untouched deserts to every one you post that shows some kind of damage to the desert. Does this mean I endorse reckless OHV use? NO. But I am saying is OHV damage is extreamly limited as compaired to the entire desert land mass.

Mike
Dan

Post by Dan »

You've succeeded in locking most of the public out of over 14% here in California, Sal, even though you and your friends are a distinct (albeit noisy and well-funded) minority. We are allowed to recreate on only about 2%, even though there are several million of us here (formerly apathetic and unorganized for political warfare).

You're not getting any more if we can help it.
Sal

Post by Sal »

You've succeeded in locking most of the public out of over 14% here in California
It's not success if people still ride through legally signed lands, or destroy the signs and then "legally" ride there. You can help keep lands open by assisiting in the effort to regulate this out-of-control recreation. Write your representatives and groups insisting that they support such common-sense measures as visible ID plates and insurance on OHV's. Until then you're just blowing smoke... :oops: