Rattlesnake Stuck in Chicken Fence

Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Rattlesnake Stuck in Chicken Fence

Post by Space Cowboy »

Okay guys, the subject line says it all. There's a rattlesnake wrist-thick around stuck in some chicken wire down in the Back 40. Don't ask me what kind I don't care. Chickens aren't in danger, and it can't hit anything because its facing in from the path that goes right past it, but get within fifty feet and it starts rattling and doesn't stop until you get to the top of the hill. I can shoot it, but considering the rat-rabbit-mouse-squirrel-raccoon hordes marauding across my garden, I consider this guy a comrade-in-arms, especially since I think his body is stuck where something he just ate is digesting.

When the wife gets home, she's going to say shoot it unless I have a better plan, and all I've got right now is an air rifle, so it won't be a quick and painful death.

All help greatly appreciated.

Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

Re: Rattlesnake Stuck in Chicken Fence

Post by Space Cowboy »

I count 12 rattles.

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Yeah, that's too bad.
If you would care to release it alive, you have to cut the chicken wires off it's body... But first!
Restrain the head. You may be able to do that by "tubing" the animal. Find a length of tubing the approximate diameter of his body and put it over his head/neck far enough so he can't double back.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

I got it reprieved until this morning, and when I went down to feed the chickens, it was gone. Can snakes back up?
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Yes, they can back out of tight spots (like burrows). Most snakes who get tangled up in chicken wire or bird netting stay that way though.
lucybest

Post by lucybest »

that's too bad.