4th of July Weekend. Herping and other things.

Apache Devil

4th of July Weekend. Herping and other things.

Post by Apache Devil »

On the weekend of the 4th I once again headed for southeastern Oregon and northern Nevada. This time I dragged my nephew Glenn with me. It was a fun and productive trip. Bit by bit I am pieceing together a fair knowledge of the wild and remote landscape in the vicinity of Denio Junction. I am also slowly but surely making friends among the locals, a very handy thing if I should ever have mechanical problems or other trouble out there.

I followed the routes I have followed on previous trips, but took a number of different backroads. I also took some previously traveled roads, but traveled them a bit farther. Our wanderings were rewarded by some great reptile finds, including a beautiful little collared lizard with bright red rings around his neck and red hashmarks on his sides. There were a fair number of desert wildflowers still blooming here and there, although the main explosion has long since passed.

I took Glenn a ways south of Denio Junction to park near a lonely rock outcropping at sunset. The soft, copper color that flooded the desert as the sun dropped below the horizon was beyond description. The rocks and the desert seemed to glow with a light from within as the sounds of birds were soft upon our ears like a sweet symphony. God how I love this land.

With the light of the setting sun still on the tops of the Trout Creek Mountains, we returned to the little cluster of buildings that is Denio Junction. The bar was open and the occupants friendly. Several cowboys came riding out of the desert, each with his own beat up old truck and a dog in back. They had all been riding for a week or two on horseback, camping and tending cattle in the Trout Creek Range. These guys were the real McCoy, just as genuine as if they had stepped out of the western wilderness of 1850.

Looking around at the vast remote wilderness around us as we drank beer around an outside picnic table in front of the bar/store/restaurant/gas station,motel, I got to thinking that for these leather-faced, wind-burned cowboys, not much was different out here from 1850. Their trucks are parked most of the time and they spend most of their lives in a saddle, far from highways and cars. We got to talking to these fellows and they were friendly as could be. They were just like people that Will Rogers would have written about. One paper-thin cowboy with piercing blue eyes looked like he was about 55, but was probably closer to 35. He asked me why I was there. I told him that I am an amateur naturalist and photographer, that I like hiking in the desert and exploring. He looked deeply at me and drawled, "Are yew a dem oh crat?" Ha ha ha.

We enjoyed the incredible colors of the desert evenglow as the first stars came out. The lady in the bar came out to tell one of the cowboys that he had a phone call. He came back out with a shocked countenance. One of their friends had been seriously injured in an accident and flown to Portland with a broken back and broken neck. In seconds all four or five of these guys were sobbing like babies. It was both touching and a bit embarassing.

When everyone else had left and the night settled in, Glenn and I strolled along the highway with headlamps, in a search for critters. Overhead the stars were so thick that the entire sky seemed to turn milky white if you stared at it long enough. I have never seen another place that close to Oregon (one mile from the border) with such a clear night sky. Even places I had been to in the high Cascades at night could not compare. Denio Junction is a stargazer's paradise.

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: 4th of July Weekend. Herping and other things.

Post by reptilist »

Nice post for a Dem o crat!
(What did you say??)

Yur collert lizart is a gravid gal.

Glad you had a fine time!
Jim_b

Post by Jim_b »

Nice photos, and a interesting trip, did you get any photos of the cowboys?
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Great trip report and pictures.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

reptilist wrote:Nice post for a Dem o crat!
(What did you say??)

Yur collert lizart is a gravid gal.

Glad you had a fine time!

I suspected that she was because of the size of her belly. Do the colors on her side have anything to do with mating and her pregnancy?
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

Jim_b wrote:Nice photos, and a interesting trip, did you get any photos of the cowboys?

These guys seemed easy enough to get along with, but I did not want to push my luck with them. lol. I witnessed how fast their moods could change. I was tempted though. They were desert-tough men, full of desert wisdom, but simple of the heart. Rough and tough cowboys who seemed to have a deep streak of childish innocence in them. Very interesting fellows.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

The red streaks on her side are a sure indication of being with child.

How did you answer the democrat question Mr. Devil?
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Rep posted:
The red streaks on her side are a sure indication of being with child.
More likely plural - children.

Nice photos - Mr. Devil, now about Rep's question?

TradClimber
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

You what? You sang "Love me tender, love me do"???
:lol:
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

reptilist wrote:The red streaks on her side are a sure indication of being with child.

How did you answer the democrat question Mr. Devil?
I told the cowboy that I am a liberal-leaning independant.

Ah ha! I wondered about that because of the brilliant mating season coloration that leopard lizards get. If memory serves, it is the long-nosed leopard lizard that is found in Oregon. The leopard and the collared have similar body designs, yet live in different terrain. Collareds love rocky bajadas where they like to perch on boulders while leopards prefer the open desert flats. I have found collareds much easier to approach than the leps. Both seem to want to eat anything small enough to shove into their sizeable mouths.

As long as I am musing about desert lizards and such, I have found the area around Mina, Nevada, to be the most reptile-dense desert I have ever seen. In the sunset evenings I could hardly take a single step without at least one lizard, usually more, speeding off in every direction. The landscape seems to be a reptile-eat-reptile ecosystem with side-blotched lizards, zebra-tails and short-horned lizards at the bottom of the food chain. They in turn are eaten by the leopards, collareds and whiptails while all are eaten by the ruling coachwhip snakes.