Box Turtle

Bisbeette
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Box Turtle

Post by Bisbeette »

Hello everyone. This is my first post to this forum. Earlier today I found a box turtle in my yard. I live in the historic section of Bisbee AZ. I'll try to post a photo of the little guy. Based on a little Google searching, I think he is a Terrapene ornata luteola (Desert Box Turtle). Can someone tell me if he is a Terapene ornata luteola or a Terapene ornata ornata (Ornate Box Turtle)? I'm also wondering what if anything I should do for him. I have no idea if he lives in the neighborhood, wandered in from the hills, or is an escaped pet. He can easily enter and exit my yard by going under the gate. I'd like to see him in a more wild and natural setting, if that is possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hmmm... I'm not sure how to add a photo... I'd appreciate some help with that. Thanks!
reptilist

Re: Box Turtle

Post by reptilist »

Hello, thanks for writing!

Your box turtle is definitely luteola.
Probably a male hot on a trail for tail. He probably knows where he wants to go.
Ideally where you let him go is in the same direction that he was going when you caught him.
Don't relocate him very far from where you found him, just to the desert's edge.

As cute as they are, they are a protected species in Arizona, and can no longer be held as pets, unless they come from another state.
Bisbeette

Post by Bisbeette »

Thank you, reptilist. I live right in the middle of town and found him in my fenced yard. If I take him to the desert's edge nearest my home and point him in the direction he was going I will be pointing him directly toward the highway. If I remove him from my yard and place him at the desert's edge on the other side of the highway I'd be moving him roughly 2 to 3 tenths of a mile. Would that be too far? I'd hate for him to get smashed by a car. By my amateur Google educated assessment he is indeed a he... and he's lovely. ^)
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Bisbeette,

We have no control over our good Lords will, so don't worry so much about it.

About thirty years ago, I was leaving home from work, and was waiting for a truck to go by to get on highway 44. Right in front in the middle of the road was a turtle on its back, I didn't want to look like a sissy by running out to save it. The truck missed it, and I got on the road like I had no worry. I later turned back with a guilty about me. The turtle was still there helpless on it's back. I checked my mirror to make sure no one would see me, stopped along side of it, opened my door and turned it over.

What a great feeling! I was proud of myself, with a big smile on my face I started making a u turn back and crushed it. I'll never forget that freshly squashed turtle on my rear view mirror.

Rep, if you're ever in need of help by the side of the road, and see me coming, don't flag me down.

Homar
Bisbeette

Post by Bisbeette »

Homar, Your story makes we want to give you a hug. I know from experience that sometimes our efforts to help a wild animal are no help at all... I can't speak for Rep, but I would not hesitate to flag you down, I'm much faster than turtle... ;)

p.s. I've never known a sissy to attempt to rescue anything.

Biz ^)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

roughly 2 to 3 tenths of a mile
That sounds about right to me! I would suggest that.
Rep, if you're ever in need of help by the side of the road, and see me coming, don't flag me down.
I drive a Toyota FJC so there is no chance of me having to flag you down for help.
Bisbeette

Post by Bisbeette »

reptilist wrote:
Thank you... Consider it done! *Biz trots off to other side of highway with DBT*
Guz

Post by Guz »

reptilist wrote:
roughly 2 to 3 tenths of a mile
I drive a Toyota FJC so there is no chance of me having to flag you down for help.
Not to mention that he'd most likely run you over while turning around.
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Another problem solved here in DUSA, another happy ending. :D

We may even have a bumper sticker come out of this; "Save A Turtle, Drive A Toyota FJC" :lol:

Homar
Bisbeette

Post by Bisbeette »

coazon de oro wrote:
We may even have a bumper sticker come out of this; "Save A Turtle, Drive A Toyota FJC" :lol:

Homar
Or we could go all out.... Bisbee is crawling with "Art Cars". Send Rep to Bisbee and let me paint the Toy up to look like a turtle. Rep's FJC will be the talk of the town... the talk of every town, actually. :lol: