Anza Borrego Desert state park

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Anza Borrego Desert state park

Post by Jim_b »

SUMMER EVENTS

Wednesday, July 4 -- Curious about the annual Bighorn Sheep Count?
Volunteer Naturalist and Sheep counter Joe Hopkins will reveal the secrets of the annual summer count. He'll include information on bighorn sheep biology and (depending on interest) a trip up the Montezuma Grade to look for sheep. Bring binoculars if you have them. 1:00-3:00 p.m. in the Discovery Lab at the State Park Visitor Center.

Tuesday, July 31 -- WORLD RANGER DAY
4:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. Extreme Birding at the Salton Sea with Mark Jorgensen and Ranger Steve Bier ($20; register with Anza-Borrego Foundation)

Chat with a Ranger. All day at the State Park Visitor Center. Free

Movies at the Visitor Center
9:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. California Forever Part 1. 50 minutes. Free
11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. California Forever Part 2. 50 minutes. Free

Ice Cream Sundaes!
11:00 a.m. until 1:00 pm (or until the ice cream runs out or melts away!). Discovery Lab at State Park Visitor Center. Free

NOTICE: Summer Camping in Borrego Palm Canyon campground is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Hookup sites are $30 per night in the summer; developed ("tent") sites are $20. Summer Day Use fee is $5 per car.
Borrego Linda
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Anza Borrego Desert state park

Post by Borrego Linda »

It's a great place to visit in the summer! Early evening colors on Fonts and the Badlands are beautiful! Yeah, it's a bit warm...it's 105 now at 7 PM, but it's worth it. No crowds either!
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

Linda,

My family and I have been spending at least one weekend, and usually two, in town for the last 10 years. With one exception, we stay at the Palm Canyon Resort. However, we have noticed that it has been suffering from withering occupancy the last few years and the bar has been shut.

Just wondering, is it still open and if so, what is the local prognosis regarding its longevity.

And if you have the opportunity to see Andy and any of the folks that work for him, say hello from "The Cowboy."

Thanks,

Stu
Borrego Linda

Post by Borrego Linda »

Stu

Palm Canyon Resort is still going strong. Restaurant is closed for summer but Hotel and RB park are open. And if you need a bar there's always Carlee's and Carmelita's!
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

Borrego Linda wrote:Stu

Palm Canyon Resort is still going strong. Restaurant is closed for summer but Hotel and RB park are open. And if you need a bar there's always Carlee's and Carmelita's!
Thanks, Linda, for the update.

We really like to stay at Palm Canyon Resort and do not want to see it closed. Might have to try Carmelita's, we've never been there. Typically, we eat at Pablito's Friday night and then Carlee's Sat. My son-in-law and I then do after dinner at Carlee's on Sat and sometimes Fri (my daughter takes the kids back to the PCR after dinner).
Borrego Linda

Post by Borrego Linda »

CowboySlim wrote:
Borrego Linda wrote:Stu

Thanks, Linda, for the update.

We really like to stay at Palm Canyon Resort and do not want to see it closed. Might have to try Carmelita's, we've never been there. Typically, we eat at Pablito's Friday night and then Carlee's Sat. My son-in-law and I then do after dinner at Carlee's on Sat and sometimes Fri (my daughter takes the kids back to the PCR after dinner).

Pablitos is closed for the summer. I like Carmelita's better actually! Their Carnitas are the best! And they have a bar as well, GREAT margaritas!
Borrego Linda

Post by Borrego Linda »

Well, looks like Palm Canyon Resort is closed. Nothing in our local paper but they are having a yard sale every day and saw 2 forums with copies of e-mails sent to the groups cancelling their reservations as they are closed. Wow. The RV park was pretty much full all season. They had lots of groups that made that their headquarters.
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

Thanks for the update, Linda, I could see that coming. However, I will make a call before we come down this fall. With grandchildren if football and soccer the fall trip will not be until the Thanksgiving weekend, as usual.

We did stay once at the Borrego Springs Resort on Tilting T drive, south of the circle. We have an aquaintance, who used to work at Carlee's, whose mother works there and he says she will arrange us a good rate. I can also try that.

I also stayed, alone without family, at the Hacienda del Sol and it was OK with me. It does look a little on the tacky side. My son-in-law and daughter always want the PCR, however.
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

OK, Palm Canyon Resort seems to be open again.

Continued up here:
http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic. ... 073#p28073