Rock Walls

Moderator: Jim_b

eunderhill
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Rock Walls

Post by eunderhill »

I've come across one of these rock walls along the Terrapin Trail about 5 minutes walk south of the Dutchman trail jtc. Back in Sept. 2011. I was wondering what they were for.
Somero

Post by Somero »

eunderhill wrote:I've come across one of these rock walls along the Terrapin Trail about 5 minutes walk south of the Dutchman trail jtc. Back in Sept. 2011. I was wondering what they were for.
The ones I took pictures of are in a different location. Rock walls are a hard one to put a date on when they were made, as to the why, could be to keep livestock out of an area, could be a defensible position, or just to make people wonder "why is there a rock wall here?" Best bet is to look at the size of the wall and location, i.e. if it encircles a small area next to a rock face, could be for hiding a lookout position. Just to many variables for a good solid answer, Sorry
alan m

Post by alan m »

Hello Eric
It's been a while since I've been on these forums
Hope all is well with you
Alan
Somero

Post by Somero »

alan m wrote:Hello Eric
Alan
Hey Alan

Could be better then again could be worse :D Got my Electrical issue worked out, in need of a radiator though :roll: Hope things are going good for you.

I lurk about here once in a while, figure I should at least answer the thread I started.
alan m

Post by alan m »

Sp do I but like my avitar indicates its usually a waste of time
I got some things to show you in October
Hope we can get some ground time in the mountains
Alan
Somero

Post by Somero »

I like the avatar, Just remembered I had one of them also. Looking forward to October.
eunderhill

Post by eunderhill »

alan m wrote:Hello Eric
Alan
I just saw this posting. I just keep a casual eye here. Everything is fine.
eunderhill

Post by eunderhill »

Somero wrote:
eunderhill wrote:I've come across one of these rock walls along the Terrapin Trail about 5 minutes walk south of the Dutchman trail jtc. Back in Sept. 2011. I was wondering what they were for.
The ones I took pictures of are in a different location. Rock walls are a hard one to put a date on when they were made, as to the why, could be to keep livestock out of an area, could be a defensible position, or just to make people wonder "why is there a rock wall here?" Best bet is to look at the size of the wall and location, i.e. if it encircles a small area next to a rock face, could be for hiding a lookout position. Just to many variables for a good solid answer, Sorry

Someone on this forum had determined that one of the rock walls out in the Superstition Wilderness was a dam for holding water in one of the washes. I remember there was a picture of it posted and I had to agree as it did look like a small dam. The one I saw might have been to hold in animals. It did seem to encompass a large open area. It looked like the wall was also cutting across a wash as well that was to the west of the trail.
Gregory E. Davis

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Good morning Somero: I was looking at your post about the "Rock Walls" and noticed that the pictures you placed there were gone. Did you delete them deliberately or were they deleted by someone else? Do you intend to put the pictures back into the post? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Somero

Post by Somero »

Gregory E. Davis wrote:Good morning Somero: I was looking at your post about the "Rock Walls" and noticed that the pictures you placed there were gone. Did you delete them deliberately or were they deleted by someone else? Do you intend to put the pictures back into the post? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Sorry about that, I'll get them posted back up in the morning.