Here's a big Western Diamondback...

Goldseeker

Re: Here's a big Western Diamondback...

Post by Goldseeker »

Dont worry, I wont... :o
nor on the road, out in the dez, anywhere.... ;)
Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Allen »

reptilist wrote:Don...
The shadow does seem odd. But the same shadow exists under the crook of his left arm too.

One thing to point out is that he is holding it well away from his body. The secret to keeping it from whipping around is balance. You give the snake just one balance point and he'll concentrate on maintaining it (usually). Don't try this at home!
Could it be that there was another source of light further to the right of the photographer?
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

I've been fooled before by internet pics....embarrassing....
But since this appears to be posted by a member of the Arizona Herpetological Association who actually knows the man in the pic, I find myself accepting it's validity.
Allen

Post by Allen »

I was thinking that another source of light to the right of the photographer, might explain the odd shadow. Either way, that snake sends shivers up my spine. Not a big fan of spiders or snakes. :shock: :shock:
On that note, my wife has finished recovery from our high desert version of the Brown Recluse Spider. A painless bite on her right forearm, followed a few days later by a 25 cent sized blister and about a 2 inch radius of hard, red tissue around it. Fortunately, there was very little tissue Necrosis. She was lucky that it was not as severe as some people experience. She'll be more careful when she pulls the weed sprayer out of the box next time.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Yes Terry that's why I was kinda held back in telling you about it. But with all the night work I've done with flashes, and light boxes --- well it looks like someone cut him and the snake out and relocated him in the background. Try different flash angles and no matter what you do the shadow won't be that harsh with the background being that far behind him and snake --- for instance look for the shadow on the plastic box on the ground --- enough -- just something to think about.

Don....
Iggy1

Post by Iggy1 »

I did notice that there isn't a shadow on the hook, (should be a shadow) where the snake is touching the hook. But the shadow does show up behind the hook. Also there isn't any shadow along the guys pants or legs.
Just giving my thoughts on this. Rep if it is a fake don't be embarrassed it's amazing what you can do with photos nowadays.
Thanks For Sharing :)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I think it would be hard to copy and past even the snake's tongue shadow!
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

so what are you guy's arguing? that its not really that big?

I found a real interesting site, written by a reporter a loooong time ago, 1800's. he was interviewing people about the civil war, and life in the 1830's to about 1870. its got many pages. many topics. one page tells about BIG rattlers from that era, some 10ft, and some fatal encounters. it also discusses other dangers, lots of bears, cougars, (real ones not those older cradle robbing women :lol: ) and wolves. also a lot on the civil war, and there was real cruelty in that war. makes panties on terrorists heads a laughing matter, compared to what went on back then. really. i believe page 28 had the snake encounter. its on save, but i think it would be hard tp c/p to here. so, if you are interested, give me your email and I will foward the whole site to you, and you can check it yourself. its the turnbo manuscripts, or something like that. interesting. the page on the rattlers is scary. this takes place in the south, ozarks, and that area. or i could send it to pitd, he posts pics for me sometimes. but those rattlers on there make that one in the pic here look like a baby.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Big snake stories are a lot like big fish stories. I hear them all the time. I even know people that think there are 30' long rattlesnakes around here! That's a real knee slapper! A 10 foot rattlesnake is pretty much a tall tale too....
The record for WDB is 92". The record for EDB is 99".
The discussion is not really the size of the snake...if you count the diamonds on it's back (32) and figure about 2 inches per, then the snake is about 5'6"...Which is a very big snake for Arizona.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

It seemed pretty reliable to me. 150 years ago or more there were more animals, wildlife; look at the grizzly bears, for instance, now they have been severly reduced. Wolves, buffalo. So, is it not reasonable to assume that with more people gradually settling in , big snakes would have been killed off. Lets face it, not many people would be comfortable having 8, 10 ft buzzers around. That big, not even you I bet :o

They measured them and there were a few 8ft and 1 10 ft I believe. I would have to read it again. Actually, cougars and bears were more of a problem. Many first hand accounts. Everything is not bs you know. And it WAS more dangerous back then.