9TH. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Moderator: Jim_b

Matthew Roberts
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: 9TH. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Certainly no antagonistic attitude on my part, as I said, everyone should visit BOTH tables. I spend time in both camps, have hundreds of friends that attend and barely get a chance to talk with all of them in such a short time. You cannot help notice the difference between the two camps, that cannot be helped, it's not a slam on anyone or anything, just a fact. And that's not just my opinion, I've been told that by dozens of people who have attended. Each camp has it's own unique personality.

For those who don't know, the reason for the two camps has nothing to do with animosity between groups or individuals, it had to do with room for everyone. The lower camp became too crowded, not near enough room for everyone under a tiny tarp and between two trailers parked a few feet from each other. The upper camp evolved from having no place close to sit and converse. There got to be so many people it was hard to hear someone at the other end talking. Over the years each camp took on those who felt more comfortable either in the lower or upper area. I've been to all but one or two of the Rendezvous and look forward to the upcoming one in October. Hope to see everyone there, in BOTH camps !

Matthew
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

All,

Yikes!! I may have given the wrong impression about avoiding someone in one of the camps. So let me say again –> I was treated with the highest respect from everybody, without exception (that includes both camps).

The point I was trying to make is this -> don’t let someone on-line discourage you from attending the rendezvous in person.

I would add that as long as you’re there, you should introduce yourself to everyone. I was surprised at how cordial some of the people were in person, the same people that on-line had been uhhhh……. well, less than cordial (at least it seemed that way on-line). Mrs. O is absolutely right, on the forums things can get lost in translation and whatever differences people may have had on-line get left at the gate.

Matthew,

The new forum sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing you at the rendezvous.

Best to All,
Ashton
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

All,

Does anybody know if public access to the Superstition Wilderness is closed and ‘off limits’ due to the government shut-down?

Thanks,
Ashton
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

AshtonPage wrote:All,

Does anybody know if public access to the Superstition Wilderness is closed and ‘off limits’ due to the government shut-down?

Thanks,
Ashton
I don't know the answer to your question, but I suspect since it's a wilderness area wish basically no services to speak of and no vehicle access (except up to the trailheads) even if it's "closed" per se, nothing would change for people wanting to go out there.

I guess one could call the Lost Dutchman State Park and ask if they know.
alan m

Post by alan m »

I think the real question is
Will the campsite be open or will they put a chain across the road
Matthew Roberts

Post by Matthew Roberts »

It is my understanding the Don's camp is not affected by the government shutdown. The Don's hold the lease on the property and the Federal Government cannot close the Don's camp or Peralta road access to it. The Don's camp is actually surrounded by State Land so there should be no problems. As for the Wilderness area and trails on Federal Land, that is an unknown. The Burns Ranch area is State Land so that should not be affected.

To all who will be at the Rendezvous and to those who have Private Messaged me, I will be in both camps, upper and lower so just look me up and anyone who wants to talk I will make time for and we can get off somewhere in private and have any discussion you would like to have.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there !

Matthew
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Ashton - phone calls to the Tonto National Forest and other "national" agencies have yielded the expected "due to the lack of federal funds, this office is closed" recorded messages, but I contacted the Lost Dutchman State Park and the folks there told me that all the trailheads are open (1st water, peralta, etc...) as far as they knew - the only places closed would be those that require fees.

I'm going under the assumption that nobody is going to stop me from parking at the trailhead and hiking in the wilderness area.
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Hi Paul,

It seems the federal closure does NOT mean that all parks are off-limits:

October 9th, 2013 LA Times.
"Stuck and Hungry at the Grand Canyon"

About 2,200 people remain inside the isolated Arizona park, 1,800 of them employees of private concessions that make the place run — the people who change the hotel room sheets, serve the meals, sell the gift shop mementos. Many are entry-level, minimum-wage workers with families who live paycheck to paycheck.

Source
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-gra ... 7711.story

Best,
Ashton
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I was asked to post this here as a reminder about the upcoming Rendezvous...

"Only nine (9) days until the Don's Camp gate will be opened for the 9th. Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous. I don't know what time the gate will be unlocked, but if you get in touch with Wayne, he can give you a better idea.

Wayne Tuttle
zentull@aol.com

Randy is not working the Rendezvous this year, so it won't do any good to call him.

Carolyn and I will be there early evening Thursday night. We will probably bring a bucket of chicken for early arrivals. Food this year is still up in the air as to when and what will be available. Figure on bringing your own until I make an announcement on the forums. SSAR mentioned bringing out their BBQ wagon and cooking hamburgers and hot dogs. They mentioned charging $5. A plate, but that is still up in the air. We are trying to get that firmed up now.

See you all there.

Take care,

Joe"
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

A few members of Double-Jack will be showing up Saturday, I hope Joe is going to be there Saturday, Badger, Looney and I have talked allot about who we want to say hello to and Joe is on top of the list....Joe, Double-Jack wants to have a go at your directions. Badger and I will talk to you at the Camp.....There will only be 5 or 6 of us from the crew out there. (We are coming to listen to your stories). Double-Jack members will not discuss any on going works... There may be a person or two who may try to start problems with members of Double-Jack. We ask that if any of you have a problem with me or my crew to leave it home..We avoid large crowds because of threats we receive constantly from the forums, that is why we don't often post on the main pages...We have a facebook page one is open the other locked to members and friends only...
Please let us have a Great time out there...

Thanks Double-Jack
Kurt Painter