The "PERALTA STONE MAPS"

Moderator: Jim_b

somehiker
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: The "PERALTA STONE MAPS"

Post by somehiker »

Not sure. My original idea that the stone was a marker which would typically be found at each "dot" along the trail does not seem to be valid. While I could understand the loss of some of these markers, due to erosion or curious passerby etc., I have failed to find any others in the immediate area. Until now, I hadn't really given much thought to alternative uses, but "plumb bobs" are used for both surveying and construction (plumb lines). Though makeshift, it's definitely man-made, which means I will have to take a much closer look around the place where I found it.
I could state an assumption of course, but I'd rather not do so here at this time.

Regards:SH.
babymick1

Post by babymick1 »

deducer wrote:
babymick1 wrote:
Deducer

I'm inclined to disagree, respectively of course. But you don't have to know the authors to understand them. I can pickup any sheet music in any country and play what's on that sheet. When there's a standard scale in place, any body can deduce that scale. You can weight your self, any where in the world and weight the same.
Just another standard scale. English-Math-Chemistry ect. all set to a standard scale!
Now lets say a group of people worked off a standard scale, made within there inner circle, But all stuck to the scale one member could find the others, even if they were gone. So one group could hide something and make a stone map, and another group could do the same, Then save the stone maps together for safe keeping. So someday they could return for it all. Sounds Good To Me

Babymick1
Yet there are so many sheet music for you to choose from. How do you recognize one made by Beethoven as opposed to tons of sheet music made by music students who are still learning? Simply, because you know something about Beethoven and the incredible quality of his composition and how his compositions ignored convention and turned music history onto its head.

But someone who knows nothing about Beethoven, would pick up a sheet music written by him and fail to recognize anything special, don't you think?

Deducer

The music itself would tell you this dude has something going on! I'd Become his manager and make millions.

Babymick1
babymick1

!

Post by babymick1 »

somehiker wrote:Those who make assumptions based on virtual exploration will never be able to experience or meet the challenges faced by those who get out there and do it for themselves. Being able to share both the discoveries and the disappointments, as well as the associated thought and theory, is just one of the rewards available to those of us that do so. Even the opportunity to cross foils with challengers who lurk in the shadows of these forums, hoping that we will reveal something by which they might profit without the effort, has it's own rewards.
For example:
This was one of my earliest finds on site, with the lower inset showing where I found it and the upper inset showing a similar marking on the roof of a cave overlooking the area. Unfortunately, it was originally down in between the rocks, just to the right of where I placed it for the photo, with neither the hole or the "V" showing. So I don't know if the "V" was actually pointing at the cave or something else.
The second photo is one I shot this afternoon, while trying to come up with an "assumption" of my own.... :idea: :roll:
I had noticed a small notch on the edge, directly opposite the only protrusion that could have served as a lower "point" if this had been used as a "plumb bob". The string has to be in this notch before the bob will hang with the point at the bottom.

This stone is the same type as was used for the heart insert, and likely from the same source about 2 1/2 miles away.

Regards:SH.

Somehiker

It looks like your tripod got more draggen then I got hanggin! :mrgreen:

Babymick1
deducer

Post by deducer »

babymick1 wrote: Deducer

The music itself would tell you this dude has something going on! I'd Become his manager and make millions.

Babymick1
Not if you don't know who this dude is. After all, you claim it's not necessary to "know the author."
musician

Post by musician »

@babymick Music is a good example to show exactly the opposite of your opinion. Notated are the informations an educated musician of that time needed to know, not the things he would do anyway because they were common knowledge and practice.

If you read the book Mozarts father wrote about violin-playing, he was a respected composer too, and compare that to a todays performance of New York Philharmonic Orchestra, you will find, that the NYPO has no idea of playing Mozart. They play the same notes, but with totally different phrasing and sound: They use the wrong type of brass instruments, metal strings instead of gut strings, totally different use of vibrato, wrong kind of timpani sticks, even the number of musicians and the balance between brass and strings is not correct.

For Mozart g-minor was key with meaning of death, yet his late g-minor symphony is often used as happy ringtone or played like that with a totally different perception.

If you need modern examples, most jazz-tunes are notated in a very simple form, only melody and chord symbols. Without knowing if it should be a Bebop tune of the 50s, or a funky tune of the 70s you could get totally different results.

The vocal line of a soul singer is never notated with details, just a raw line with all the important emotional ornamentations missing. If you would sing this line a hundred years later, without knowing for which kind of music it was written, you would end up in a totally different stylistic area.

Or comping was never notated in detail in baroque music or in jazz, because any musician could do it in an appropriate way.

So for any kind of document it is very important who the author was, who the reader and what kind of information was so obvious common knowledge for both, that it could be omitted.
babymick1

Post by babymick1 »

musician wrote:@babymick Music is a good example to show exactly the opposite of your opinion. Notated are the informations an educated musician of that time needed to know, not the things he would do anyway because they were common knowledge and practice.

If you read the book Mozarts father wrote about violin-playing, he was a respected composer too, and compare that to a todays performance of New York Philharmonic Orchestra, you will find, that the NYPO has no idea of playing Mozart. They play the same notes, but with totally different phrasing and sound: They use the wrong type of brass instruments, metal strings instead of gut strings, totally different use of vibrato, wrong kind of timpani sticks, even the number of musicians and the balance between brass and strings is not correct.

For Mozart g-minor was key with meaning of death, yet his late g-minor symphony is often used as happy ringtone or played like that with a totally different perception.

If you need modern examples, most jazz-tunes are notated in a very simple form, only melody and chord symbols. Without knowing if it should be a Bebop tune of the 50s, or a funky tune of the 70s you could get totally different results.

The vocal line of a soul singer is never notated with details, just a raw line with all the important emotional ornamentations missing. If you would sing this line a hundred years later, without knowing for which kind of music it was written, you would end up in a totally different stylistic area.

Or comping was never notated in detail in baroque music or in jazz, because any musician could do it in an appropriate way.

So for any kind of document it is very important who the author was, who the reader and what kind of information was so obvious common knowledge for both, that it could be omitted.
So Musician

What your really saying, any musician could read the sheet music! ;I CAN; And after hundreds of years, WOW! How did I do it!

Thanks for clearing that up

Babymick1

Ohh, Nothing should be omitted, Thinking like that, adds steel strings, too much brass sections and Strings!
deducer

Post by deducer »

babymick1 wrote: So Musician

What your really saying, any musician could read the sheet music! ;I CAN; And after hundreds of years, WOW! How did I do it!

Babymick1

Ohh, Nothing should be omitted, Thinking like that, adds steel strings, too much brass sections and Strings!

I think Musician just made a very excellent point in that while you can pick up any sheet music and play what you think is music, it most certainly will not be the same music the original author intended unless you knew who the original author was and what his intentions were.
babymick1

Post by babymick1 »

deducer wrote:
babymick1 wrote: So Musician

Babymick1

I think Musician just made a very excellent point in that while you can pick up any sheet music and play what you think is music, it most certainly will not be the same music the original author intended unless you knew who the original author was and what his intentions were.
Deducer

True, if your trying to figure out human nature, but your not, you have a standard in place.

Babymick1
deducer

Post by deducer »

babymick1 wrote: Deducer

True, if your trying to figure out human nature, but your not, you have a standard in place.

Babymick1
What 'standard' would be in place? Is there any proof of that?

The fact that the authors chose stone as the medium on which to record their message seems to suggest that they were planning for the long run (beyond their lifetime). It seems to me that if I were the author, I would find it sensible to gravitate towards keeping things simple, as codes are always broken or at the very least modified.
Sgtfda

Post by Sgtfda »

The dots are mile markers