Moderator: Jim_b

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Lost Treasure in Baja

Post by Desert Cruiser »

The Lost Mision - Santa Isabel

The story behind the mission:

The Jesuit order of the Catholic Church had for over 70 years defied incredible physical odds in establlishing a foothold in Baja California as well as the rest of the Southwest. The had established 15 to 17 known missions (depending on who's account you read) with the help of soldiers and of course Indian slave labor. Another thing that confused the issure is the fact that they moved 3 missions to different locations. The also had "visita" missions in the southern part of Baja.

But their power in the New World was their ultimate downfall. It inspired the stories (some true) about their real objective in the New World. It was supposed to be to save souls by converting the natives to Catholicism. Most of their agenda had more to do with wealth for the Jesuits. They used the natives as labor in the mines and to build the missions.

One of Spains leaders, Jose de Galvez was sent to the New World check up on the Jesuits -- he distrusted them from the start. He thought they mismanaged potentially rich missions, and used them and the people (natives, soldiers) as bases and tools to secretly hoard a great wealth of pearls, silver, and gold. This is how a lot of treasure stories got started.

One of the stories told was of Jesuit padres in Ca. sending a large shipment of illegal wealth to a Venetian merchant in Cadiz, Spain. This was the first story that the court in Madrid heard that started the mistrust of the Jesuits. In those days the Jesuits were supposed to give the Spanish 5th to Spain which was supposed to include 1/5 of everything they got in the way of wealth and give it to Spain. Like a tax. Of course the heads of the Spanish Court didn't think this was the case.

Apparently the King didn't believe they were being honest and he thought he'd teach them a lesson. In 1768 he expelled the Jesuits from the provinces of New Spain (as it was called then). Of course the Jesuits had spys that told them what was going to happen and when; so they hid all their wealth so they could at a later date come back and retrieve their riches. They never made it back. The Dominican Order of priests came over to the New World and took over, but it was too late, most of the wealth had already been hidden.

So where did all this wealth go to. This has been the big question in hundreds of treasure stories thru out the New World.

One mission that was known to exist that has never been found is the Lost Mission of Santa Isabel. It is believed to be in the mountains, with the wealth hidden in an old mine (or cave) near the lost mission. But was it really? No it wasn't.

So this is where the real story begins -----

Every weekend a very wealthy nuersurgeon from Los Angeles got in his plane and flew down to his hacienda in Guymas on the mainland. He flew by visual, not instruments, so he flew down the Baja peninsula till he got to his landmard for his turn to the East by South to take him across the Sea of Cortez and to Guymas. On one such trip that started out uneventful he was flying low over the beaches thinking how nice an area this would be for a home to be built when he noticed a rectangle in the soft sand a short distance off the beach. After circling several times he decided he could land on the hard sand beach next to the water -- it was low tide.

After landing he struggled thru the soft sand to get to the rectanular outline in the sand thinking it was probably nothing. And when seen up close it did look like an old adobe stucture that had never been finished, what's new he thought, they're all over Baja. Since he'd come down to get a look he jumped into the edge of the building. It was worn down and rounded. If it hadn't been for the shape from the plane you wouldn't know it was there. He looked a little closer and saw something that looked like golden flecks in the adobe. Thinking it wasn't much he was going to get going, then at the last minute went back to the plane and found a screw driver in the small toolbox on board and went back to the adobe walls. He started digging at the wall and low and behold it was full of this stuff and it looked like small pea sized gold nuggets. Now what to do? He took off his socks and filled one with the gold. He was getting tired out in the heat so he left and went to his home in Guymas. He flew back to L.A. with the sock hidden in his suitcase. Thinking the next time he'd take a pick and stop for a longer time and try to figure out a way to bring more back.

Now understand this story was given to me first hand, and I believe it is true. Also understand, he got busy and couldn't go back for a month and in the interim there had been a series of bad storms that came up the Sea of Cortez and yes you guessed it; he couldn't find the outline again no matter how much he looked. The shifting sands covered it up! But no big deal --- did you read the above, he was very successful at what he did and really didn't need the money anyway; it was more of a novelty to him. He did say that the area where it was had no roads close to the shore line. and showed me where his flight plan would've taken him each time he went down there. Here's the map with an approximate flight path, can't find the original but this is close. Also in Red are the suspected areas fo search that I came up with, although he thought it was near to his turn to the East.

He is dead now from a bad motorcycle accident in Susanville, Ca. when at night he was decapitaded. This is why I can relate the story to others.

The map.

Here is one of the first missions in Baja and this is in top condition to this day, We photograhed it ourselves on one of our many trips down there. Some of the old missions today are hard to find because there is hardly anything left of them; maybe just a few rocks where the foundations were. In the town of Loreto.

If nothing else, going down is an adventure in itself. There are so many beautiful spots along the coast, and inland also. We even found geysers just behind the town at Gonzaga Bay and loads of mineralized run off below them that had solidified. Nice stuff. This is Gozaga Bay at sunrise. Taken by Iggy. Notice the fish jumping! So much to do......

Don....
Goldseeker

Re: Lost Treasure in Baja

Post by Goldseeker »

Thats a very good article; I have heard this somewhere before. But being in Mexico, its not very practical to try to do anything with. I could tell you another story of a virgin gold find in Mexico, told to me by the finder, Bill McCaffrey, a sucessful mining engineer/prospector, and how he had to flee on a moments notice, but I wont have time until next week. If its south of the border its not worth it.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Don,

I can't think of a better place to temporarily hide gold than mixing it into adobe bricks! Easy access to it by replacing one brick at a time with normal adobe. Just like making a withdrawal from a bank account.

I like the whole story. Especially the parts about the Jesuits. Fits in very well with the Jesuit history that my research has turned up from completely different sources. Only difference is that my notes say they were expelled in 1767 not 1768. No Biggie, unless you are working with the Isogonic Drift theory, and trying to tie the Jesuit Treasure story in with the Peralta Stone Maps. Everything has to point to 1767 to keep that theory from falling apart.

One thing that I have to agree with Goldseeker on is; That South of the Boarder stuff is risky these days.

Great Story!

Jim Hatt
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Glad you enjoyed it Jim. Yes it is risky for some (most) people to go down there. It's not once your down there; it is in the towns near the border where you have to cross --- Algodones is still pretty safe, because of all the snowbirds that use it for their pharmacy. The difference in the dates --- mainly because it's my understanding that the Priests in Baja had a lot more time before they were expelled. They were thought of as less of a threat and the Spanish took longer to get to them. I'm sure they thought it was a good place to hide their treasure stash. Seems like it's working for now. You'd need a plane or helicopter to find this one. Helicopter is my personal preference. The thing that interested me so much about this, and why we spent so much time down there looking; was because of the guy that found it -- he knew nothing about treasure or gold and to him it was curiosity more than anything. He was extremely wealthy. Of course you know as well as I do that it's just as likely to be found by someone that's not even looking for it --- kind like beginners luck?

Don....
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Jim I checked my notes again and I keep coming up with 1768, and incorrect date would bother me to say the least? What do you think? I've checked several sources that say 1768 but in reference to the expulsion in Baja, and not necessarily in the rest of the new world, maybe? Got any ideas if not then maybe I got the date wrong?

Don...
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hi Don,

There probably are sources out there that say the Expulsion took place in 1768, but I believe they are incorrect.

The complete story can be found at: http://www.jstor.org/pss/980582

Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Well it looks like I made a mistake with the date. Thanks for the clarification.

Don....
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Don,

Normally a single year one way or the other doesn't matter much when looking back that far. But in the case of the Jesuit Expulsion (and the possible link to the stone maps) it makes all the difference in the world where the correction factor for the Isogonic Drift is concerned. (8-N-P)
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Hola amigos,

I realize this thread has grown a bit 'cold' but can add a bit which may make it interesting.

The date question - yes the official roundup was supposed to happen in a 'simultaneous' fashion, but Baja being rather less accessible the roundup took longer and it was 1768 by the time the padres were expelled from there. In Baja the word of the expulsion seems to have gotten ahead of the soldiers, for in at least one instance the padre marched out to greet the soldiers, in the mistaken belief that his mission was being relieved, not arrested.

The Franciscans and Dominicans who replaced them did not arrive immediately on the exit of the Jesuits either. I think this is how the "Lost Mission" of San Isabel came to be lost. The Jesuits had a virtual monopoly on the pearl fishery in California and were doing a very lively trade with the Manila galleons for the 70 years they held sway in Baja, and even though the reports of their wealth and hidden riches had reached the ears of the King, despite energetic searches and even torture of the padres, virtually no treasure was found. Does this prove there never was any treasure in the first place? In my opinion - absolutely not!

There is another lost mission in Baja too - the Santa Clara mission which was named San Juan Bautista - as far as I know, no ruins have ever been found of this one either.

According to a friend of ours who lives in Mexico and is a very successful treasure hunter, the Mexican laws on prospecting and mining have recently been changed much to the benefit for Americans interested in going there for those purposes, but the treasure trove laws are still a mess of red tape. There are some pretty dangerous areas where the drug smugglers operate, so extra research would be a must before heading south. Mexico's gun laws are pretty strict too, so there are plenty of legalities to check before loading up the outfit (pickup).

The lost treasures and mines of Baja would fill a book. A careful search of the old records and satellite photos might just locate a long-lost, legendary Jesuit mission or two! I recommend this book in particular, A Natural History of California (whole title much longer) by Michael Venegas, SJ (a Jesuit) written in 1758
http://books.google.com/books?id=wDQVAA ... q=&f=false

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Roy ~ Oroblanco
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Roy,

Baha has always been a place that has had a strong "Lure" for me. But... I can't get past the fear of being in some remote area down there (Without a side-arm of any kind) and running into trouble with a group of Drug Dealers or a rabid animal of one kind or another.

Taking a firearm into Mexico is strictly forbidden. You can even be arrested, for having a couple rounds of live ammunition, in your pocket or luggage.

I was told a while back, that there were exceptions to that rule, and you could get a permit to carry a weapon down there... If, you were connected with Law Enforcement, and were visiting there on Official Business. But I have never found anything in writing that confirmed that.

Jim