THE HOLMES MANUSCRIPT

Moderator: Jim_b

lighthouse
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: THE HOLMES MANUSCRIPT

Post by lighthouse »

Hello Group:
QUESTION..... Was any analysis ever performed on the MATCH BOX gold inlay that reported came from the gold ore RJ Holmes sold? The reason I ask is that unrefined gold has a fingerprint, as to the ratio of gold to all other metallic elements mixed in with it. For instance, the Goldfield area mines had an average of a 65/35 ratio of gold to silver. The major trace elements were Molybdenum, Maganese and Copper. Also the quartz matrix itself probably contain trace elements that can serve to give it its distinctive coloration.(I don't know what the Goldfield quartz analysis is).

If any analysis was made, then how does it compare with the Goldfield mines? If it closely tallies, then the matchbox ore had to come from the general vacinity of the Goldfield mines.

Also note that as you proceed eastward from the Goldfields, the main metal shifts to silver, and then further on, becomes copper.

Does anyone have analysis information on the match box?..... Lighthouse
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Yes Mike, there has been an analysis done. A very detailed one.
See Chapter 21 of Thomas Glover's first book

The lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz - Part 1: The Golden Dream.

It also provides a comparison of the ore to other known mines of the area and time period.

Jim
djui5

Post by djui5 »

Jim Hatt wrote:
Or... from a friend that has a copy. :D

Jim
Which version? :shock: :mrgreen:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

djui,

You didn't quote enough of the original post for me to know what you are talking about.

Version of what?

Jim
djui5

Post by djui5 »

The Holmes manuscript. I was actually thinking of the Bark notes when I posted that. :oops:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Ok, now I understand!

Man! If you had a different version of the Holmes Manuscript than the Higham version, I was going to ask where you found it! :lol:
Roger

Post by Roger »

There are actually 4 versions of the Holmes Manuscript. Greg Davis has them in his collection and they are labeled A, B, C, and D versions. I believe the storyline is that Brownie worked with a 3rd party writer at first who did a much glamorized version of what Brownie told him. Brownie went through several revisions with that writer and then gave up on it and personally typed a final version himself. Could be a little off on this, but Greg Davis has the accurate story. One might conclude that the Rev D is probably the most "Holmes" version for that reason. I am not sure which revision is the one in general circulation as published by the Superstition Mtn Historical Society and Dr. Glover. Again, Greg would probably know that detail. I did not read all 4 versions so can't comment on how different is each version

Roger
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

There you go djui,

Roger turned your error into a "Happy Mistake" that we all learned something from.
If anyone could do it, Roger would be the man!.

One day, After the LDM has been found, and the Stone Maps have been solved... Someone will be going thru Greg's files and say: "Look at that, If only we would have paid more attention to this!."

Somewhere along the way. Someone has caressed the "Magic Clue" or Theory, and it has gone unrecognized.

Among those many rows of filing cabinets in Greg's library. It lies there... In an innocent looking drawer. Hanging between the carefully marked folders. Possibly even in a folder, with a tab that says "Unknown".

Just like the LDM itself... It lies there, waiting for just the right person to pass his eyes over it, and recognize it for what it is.

Or, make the right "Happy Mistake". ;)

djui5

Post by djui5 »

Thanks Roger! I got some reading to do.

Jim,
I'd be willing to bet you are 100% right about that. Still can't believe some of the stuff I've seen in Greg's big room. :shock:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Temporary Moderator Note:

LoneStar, in case you bookmarked our conversation, and come back here looking for it...

I moved it into the General Discussion topic at: http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic. ... 2&start=70 (Bottom of Pg 8) because it had nothing to do with the Holmes Manuscript. Jim