Do You Have Any Geological Questions?

Plays In The Dirt

Do You Have Any Geological Questions?

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I'm meeting tomorrow night with the geologist for the gold mine that I work for. He's a great guy who told me that he'd answer any questions that I have pertaining to the earths geological surface. I arranged this meeting as I have questions and interests that I'm sure he can answer.

If you have any that you would like me to ask him, (within reason), I'd be more than happy to.
Gerald D. Sain
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Do You Have Any Geological Questions?

Post by Gerald D. Sain »

Question; First , i'd like to explain why this question.
I bought a Earth globe and did my own expearments.
In the book written by Robert E. Lee, it says that on the shortest day of the year, Dec.21-22, a shadow of WEIVER'S needle will pass over my mine.
Now, on that day, at the equator, an object will cast a shadow to the north at 23 degrees.
Sence Weiver's needle is about 33 degrees north of the equartor, this would put a shadow of Weiver's needle at about 56 degrees to the north instead of 23 degrees. This is my findings.
:?: At what degree would an object cast at 33 degrees north, 4;00 pm. Dec. 21-22.

:roll: Let me add to this. I think that if a person has knowledge of the contour of the earth and of longitude and latitude, he or she can answer this without any brain busting. I'm just a dumb old boy from Texas and I need all the help I can get.
This is not a hard question to answer, I just need it to be verified.
The reason for this is, if this is so, then everyone is looking at least 10 to 33 degrees to the south of where the Dutchman's mine really is. Think about it, if you used a compus to determine a shadow at 23 degrees north, instead of the objects shadow, on Dec. 21-22, at 4;00 pm.,then you are 10 to 33 off. Ruffly 1/2 to 2 miles. Also, at 4;00 pm., the sun is almost down and the shadow of Weiver's needle could go as far 10 miles.
Do you know anybody that can help me with this? I beleave this is my 2nd post today so I can't answer you today.
Last edited by Gerald D. Sain on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Gerald: I think you need someone with a different degree to give you the answer your looking for. There was someone on here that knew a lot about that kind of thing (woman perhaps)? Maybe they can help you?

Don....
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Gerald,

Before you get too wrapped up in all of your calculations. You should give some thought to the validity of the clue to begin with. You would be better off spending some time reading the post at http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=421 and the related links, and considering the source of that clue, than trying to figure out where the shadow would fall.

That clue does not appear in anything that is traceable back to Jacob Waltz (The Dutchman) It does not even appear in any of the "Top Shelf" Books on the subject.

Jim Hatt
djui5

Post by djui5 »

playsinthedirt,
can you ask him how to properly identify the outer ring of a Caldera? Also I'm told there is a plant that only grows in Gold bearing regions. Can you ask if he knows what plant this is?
Plays In The Dirt

djui5 wrote:playsinthedirt,
can you ask him how to properly identify the outer ring of a Caldera? Also I'm told there is a plant that only grows in Gold bearing regions. Can you ask if he knows what plant this is?
Unfortunately I was already at this house when you posted this so of course I wasn't able to ask him your question. He and his wife both have advanced degrees in Geology and have been working in that field for (30) years so he may be able to shed a little light on a Caldera

Just out of curiosity, what is your interest in Volcanic features?
Plays In The Dirt

Well I just returned from spending quite a bit of time with our Geologist and his Wife. It was quite an informative visit and he shed a lot of light on the questions that I had about our mine. He also gave me a lot of information on rock formations and the various rocks that are found in our area. He's even going to get me a book that will help me in my learning process. We plan on meeting again soon where he will teach me more. Finding gold is quite a scientific process these days I found out. I'm happy to have met with him and his wife and am looking forward to future meetings.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Greg,

As you probably already noticed, talking to those guys can be frustrating at times. They use so many words that have no meaning to guys like us, that they often have to repeat everything they say, and convert it into words that we can understand.

If you are planning to get heavy into the geology thing, I have a college level course on it on 6 DVD's. It is a complete semester in one package. It starts with the structure of the atom and builds on it from there. Very good graphics and explanations. Gives you a real solid foundation for communicating with guys like your Geologist friend.

If you'd like to watch it, Just send me your mailing address in an e-mail and I can ship it up to you.

Jim
djui5

Post by djui5 »

Plays In The Dirt wrote: Just out of curiosity, what is your interest in Volcanic features?
I think it's interesting. They also play a role in bringing Gold to the surface.

Jim,
Where did you get that DVD set? Can I buy a copy somewhere?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

The Nature of Earth: An Introduction to Geology
http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedescl ... x?cid=1700

Nature of Earth: An Introduction to Geology
Course No. 1700 (36 lectures, 30 minutes/lecture)
Taught by John J. Renton
West Virginia University
Ph.D., West Virginia University

These 36 half-hour lectures are your initiation into the geological world that lies just outside your door. The Nature of Earth: An Introduction to Geology introduces you to physical geology, the study of Earth's minerals, rocks, soils, and the processes that operate on them through time.

The Teaching Company
4840 Westfields Blvd., Suite 500
Chantilly, VA 20151