OHV Mojave Desert

Sal

OHV Mojave Desert

Post by Sal »

OHV Use a "Huge Challenge" on Public Lands

Update: Off-Roaders in the Mojave Desert
February 6, 2009 - Pahrump, Nevada

We attended a meeting today of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Mojave-Southern Great Basin Resource Advisory Council, which covered a range of topics affecting public lands in Nevada. Off-highway vehicles was a big one.

As 30 to 40,000 motorcylists, dune-buggy riders, and racing trucks gathered this weekend at Dumont Dunes in California, over the border in Nevada land managers say they are facing "a huge challenge." Mary Jo Rugwell, Southern Nevada district manager for BLM in Las Vegas, said her agency had no real plans for how to handle the recreational riders at places like Big Dune in the Amargosa Valley (Nye County), and the long overland races such as Terrible's Las Vegas to Reno race. They have hired a contractor to help develop recreational management plans.
http://www.basinandrangewatch.org/OHV-RAC.html
Dan

Re: OHV Mojave Desert

Post by Dan »

Just another radical anti-access enviro group disguised as a "watch" group. We don't spread lies about you, why do you spread lies about us?
S@ndman

Post by S@ndman »

I agree that large gatherings of people operating motor vehicles has an effect on the surrounding landscape as well as an impact upon the EMS system that must attend to the myriad of injuries, many of them fatal that occur as a result of these activities. Here in California, the run sheet for Mercy Air is dominated on weekends hauling participants of AMA District 37 racing events to trauma centers. Although these events are held in legal, open OHV areas and are permitted, the financial impact on the budgets of responsible agencies is significant.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Dan wrote:Just another radical anti-access enviro group disguised as a "watch" group. We don't spread lies about you, why do you spread lies about us?
Oh I don't know about all that, Dan:

Quotes from Mary Jo Rugwell, Southern Nevada district manager for BLM

"Nevada land managers say they are facing "a huge challenge."

"There are many promoters wanting races in the desert, and they do not want to use the same routes every time -- not "challenging enough." Rugwell said the BLM tries to stick with one or a few routes in order to reduce damage"

"But there's no guarantee that they will stay on these," Rugwell added. Off-roaders having been growing bolder and less cooperative lately, even around well-signed routes. The increase in resistance is "alarming." Rugwell paused, then added, "and even violent."

""That's really disturbing to me," she said, indicating that the safety of law enforcement officers was in question."

"Asked whether having license plates would help, as in other states, Rugwell said probably not. There is a "hell-bent-for-leather" attitude. "They would just as soon hurt us as look at us."

Mary Jo Rugwell, Southern Nevada district manager for BLM

Now if one considers the BLM to be "just another radical anti-access enviro group" I suppose one could subscribe to your statement. Whether or not the Mojave-Southern Great Basin Resource Advisory Council falls under your classification, I guess that's up for ones interpretation, and of course depends on what side of the fence you're on. I think that the statements from Ms. Rugwell at the BLM, ("growing bolder - less cooperative - increase in resistance - hell-bent-for-leather attitude - just as soon hurt us as look at us)" explain what Sandman and others have been trying to get across. The BLM tries to work with both sides and this is how they're treated in the field.
S@ndman

Post by S@ndman »

This is not some "Radical anti-OHV" person talking as Dan claims, it's the BLM District Manager for Southern Nevada who is quoted. Keep talking Dan, thats all you have....all talk, no facts. Your credability is long gone!

There are many promoters wanting races in the desert, and they do not want to use the same routes every time -- not "challenging enough." Rugwell said the BLM tries to stick with one or a few routes in order to reduce damage, and they want to start to GPS the routes (using satellite global positioning units to map roads accurately). This would help to designate routes in management plans.

"But there's no guaruntee that they will stay on these," Rugwell added. Off-roaders having been growing bolder and less cooperative lately, even around well-signed routes. The increase in resistance is "alarming." Rugwell paused, then added, "and even violent."

"That's really disturbing to me," she said, indicating that the safety of law enforcement officers was in question.

It has not been easy, Rugwell explained, to do a better job on signing and education. This problem has "been running us."
S@ndman

Post by S@ndman »

It's my belief that radicals like Dan only fuel the flames of hostility against anyone who stands in the way of motorized madness and destruction. It's a big problem and land use managers are getting together on how best to keep lands open AND maintain responsible legal OHV use that is sustainable. A challenge indeed!

Where is the voice of OHV leadership here in promoting responsible OHV use? Elder statesman and former CORVA President Ed Waldheim has been promoting responsible OHV use for quite some time. When will others follow suit and advocate for responsible and sustainable OHV use? Are Ed's words only lip service or is the OHV community at large ready to pull up their pants and make a serious effort here to promote responsible OHV use?
Waynno

Post by Waynno »

Sandy, I fail to see what Ed has to do with a permitted once a year event in Nevada

That is what that web site seems to have its cross hairs focused on.
Wayne
Plays In The Dirt

Looking At Both Sides...

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I think that these two statements from Ms. Rugwell at the BLM says it all:

"There are many promoters wanting races in the desert, and they do not want to use the same routes every time - but there's no guarantee that they will stay on these"

There are places set aside for all types of use, and for all types of OHV's, and this is how it should be. However, it's just never enough or in the right place for some and thereby you have big problems. If irresponsible riders, (and there are many), have no respect for BLM LEO's (as indicated by Ms. Rugwell in her statements), then how does one suppose a private citizen is going to be able to politely try and educate them, (as has been suggested here)? Besides being downright dangerous, it's not even plausible. Of course there are many "responsible riders" who would be polite and listen, but then they are not the problem.
Waynno

Post by Waynno »

BTW, I have raced cars in Nevada, And BLM does
an outstanding job keeping people out of where
they are not supposed to be.

These events are very well organized and controlled.

The web site is spreading lies and misconceptions (Gee, Imagine that)

Wayne
Dan

Post by Dan »

I'm not a radical, S@ndman. I'm merely attempting to preserve the status quo, after years of radical enviro groups having their way with the public policy of federal agencies. The only people who would think I'm a radical are the radicals themselves, who are used to getting their way, and don't want my opinions to be heard. THEY are the ones attempting to change policy and the way our liberty is preserved in balanced public lands policy. WE are the ones who are now poised to defend ourselves. It's people like you who seek to shut us up, so only one side of the story is told.

I don't care what side of the issue you're on, that is not democracy.

It's not evil to oppose someone's opinions. It's only evil to underhandedly attempt to shut them out of the marketplace of ideas. I don't attempt to shut you up. I suggest you think about that a bit.