Jim - Petrasch family connection?

Moderator: somehiker

cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Jim - Petrasch family connection?

Post by cubfan64 »

Jim,

I've heard that your family has/had ties to the Petrasch family at one time. I know Dr. Glover mentioned your grandfather (or great grandfather?) in his book "The Golden Dream," but I also recall you mentioning that he never interviewed you for his book.

I realize this is a personal/family question, but would you be willing to share the truth of the history of your family as it relates to the Petrasch family? If not, I will fully understand, but I'm hoping you won't mind sharing that history as I'm sure others are interested as well.

Thanks
roc2rol

Re: Jim - Petrasch family connection?

Post by roc2rol »

Hi Jim & Paul !

I’m also interested. I read about your ancestry also in
“Lost Cities & Ancient Mysteries of the Southwest”
by David Childress.

It’s a wildly speculative book with good referenced resources.
Good read with a skeptical glance
Have find day
Ed
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Paul/Ed,

The following quote (From my article @ http://www.desertusa.com/ldm-1/peralta.html) is the only thing I have ever said publicly about any Petrasch/Hatt connection.

"Jim Hatt first heard the story about the Lost Dutchman Mine, which he now believes is one of the locations on the Peralta Stone Maps, from his great-grandfather Earl Arthur Hatt in 1956. Earl had personally known members of the Petrasch family who were among some of the earliest searchers for the lost mine of Jacob Waltz (the Dutchman). Earl maintained little more than a casual interest in what eventually grew to be one of the most famous legends in the history of lost mines in the entire Southwest. The story smoldered through four generations of the Hatt family until it fell upon Jim’s ears and burned into his soul."

I have now idea where Glover got the story he published, as he identified no source for it. I can tell you that I have never talked to or corresponded with him in any way shape or form. Although there is a "Story" there, Glover mutilated it pretty bad.

The actual story will never be told publicly as long as I am still actively searching for the LDM.

Best,

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Jim Hatt wrote:Paul/Ed,

The following quote (From my article @ http://www.desertusa.com/ldm-1/peralta.html) is the only thing I have ever said publicly about any Petrasch/Hatt connection.

"Jim Hatt first heard the story about the Lost Dutchman Mine, which he now believes is one of the locations on the Peralta Stone Maps, from his great-grandfather Earl Arthur Hatt in 1956. Earl had personally known members of the Petrasch family who were among some of the earliest searchers for the lost mine of Jacob Waltz (the Dutchman). Earl maintained little more than a casual interest in what eventually grew to be one of the most famous legends in the history of lost mines in the entire Southwest. The story smoldered through four generations of the Hatt family until it fell upon Jim’s ears and burned into his soul."

I have now idea where Glover got the story he published, as he identified no source for it. I can tell you that I have never talked to or corresponded with him in any way shape or form. Although there is a "Story" there, Glover mutilated it pretty bad.

The actual story will never be told publicly as long as I am still actively searching for the LDM.

Best,

Jim
Fair enough - disappointing to not hear it, but I fully understand :)
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Paul,

There are only two people who I ever trusted enough to tell that whole story to. Obviously one of them was not worthy of that trust, and there are now several versions of it in circulation.

(A mistake that will not be repeated).

Best,

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Jim Hatt wrote:Paul,

There are only two people who I ever trusted enough to tell that whole story to. Obviously one of them was not worthy of that trust, and there are now several versions of it in circulation.

(A mistake that will not be repeated).

Best,

Jim
Jim - I completely understand.

I'm sure you're aware of where I've seen one version of the story, but even before I read that, I had heard the general comments about your family having a history with the Petrasch family at one point - at that time, it was being spoken about as though it was common knowledge.

That's the only reason I even asked here because I wasn't aware it was NOT common knowledge and thought perhaps it was something you had shared personally at one point and I had missed.

In other words it was just curiosity on my part to hear your side of the story. Like I said, I completely understand and respect your response and position.