32 miles southeast of Safford. From Safford, take Highway 70 east 9 miles. Turn right on BLM's Haekel Road and proceed 25 miles south to area.
From Bowie, turn north on Central Avenue and continue two miles north to the Fan Road. Continue the Fan Road for eight miles, then turn left on Haekel Road and proceed nine miles to the area.
Tanque Road - This road provides access from Highway 191. The turnoff from Highway 191 onto Tanque Road is located near milepost marker 105.
Two hot tubs, 10 tent/RV units, fire grills, vault toilets (tourism region).
A use fee of $3.00 per vehicle per day or annual permit for $30.00 is required. The permit and fee is not required for licensed or unlicensed vehicle(s) in tow. The annual permit must be obtained from the Safford BLM office, 711 14th Ave , Safford, AZ 85546 or 520-348-4400.
Popular activities at the site include hot-tubbing, camping, picnicking, fishing, photography and off highway vehicle driving in sand dunes. Use can be very heavy on weekends. Drinking water is not available and shade is limited. Summers are extremely hot. Elevation is 3400 feet.
Surrounded by sand dunes, an artesian well produces in excess of 250 gallons of hot water per minute. This is the result of an oil drilling operation in the late 1920s that hit water instead of oil. The water has been flowing since that time at a temperature of 106 degrees Fahrenheit. Small cattail-lined ponds provide habitat for fish and wildlife.
Rules & Regulations
- For the safety and enjoyment of bathers, vehicles will not be allowed in the area immediately around the tubs and rest rooms. This area is closed to all motorized vehicles and is delineated with post and cable and is also signed.
- Public nudity is prohibited at all times within the Hot Well Dunes Recreation Area.
- Please do not chop or otherwise damage trees or other vegetation. Trees and other vegetation provide you shade and a buffer from wind and noise. Gathering of dead and down wood for use in campfires is permitted.
- The discharge of firearms or other weapons, including archery, BB guns and pellet guns is prohibited due to the high concentration of visitors and highly mobile users.
- To ensure that everyone has an opportunity to enjoy use of the area, camping is limited to 14 days within any period of 28 consecutive days unless otherwise authorized.
- Please keep pets on a leash or under some form of physical control at all times to ensure they don't become lost in the open terrain or injured by vehicle activity.
- The speed limit on and within 50 feet of the entrance road, any campsite or concentration of people is 10 miles per hour.
- Camping is not allowed within designated parking areas or within the post and cable barrier around the tubs.
BLM Safford Field Office
711 14th Avenue
Safford, AZ 85546
Office Hours: 7:45 am - 4:15 PM
-- Source: BLM
DesertUSA Outdoor Recreation Guide