Desert Photography Tips and Tricks
Getting the Perfect Picture
Looking for that perfect light at sunset.
Whether you're buying your first camera or want to learn how to use it, we've got the photography tips and tricks to help you get that perfect picture.
Light is your paint, your camera the brush.
DesertUSA Articles on Photography and Videos
- Desert Photography and Digital Cameras
- Photo Safari at Imperial Sand Dunes
- Desert Lightning - How to Photograph
- Take Your Best Shot - Animal Photography
- Marshal South the Movie
- Photographing Memories of a Trip
- The Last Frontier on Film - Photographing Trona Pinnacles
- How to do Nighttime Photography
- How to get photos of wild animals
- Photographer's View of Antelope Canyon
- Autumn Glimmer: Photographers descend on the craggy Eastern Sierra, hoping for magic light and stunning fall scenery
- Weep Not: Cemetery visitors celebrate life not death (includes photography by Lara Hartley)
Photographing the Milky Way
Mirage - by Doug Aitken - mirror covered house
Slab City, California - a favorite of photographers
Salvation Mountain - Leonard Knight
East Jesus - Charlie Russell
The Kinetoscope - video
Desert Photography Close-up
Shutterbug 101 Series by Lara Hartley
A Passion for the Rails:Photographing Trains
It's Not a Brand New Bag: I carry a lot of stuff with me when I am on the road. Three bags. I bring everything because I don’t know what I might need if I am out for an extended time.
Sometimes a Notion: In each photographer the spark of creativity is vitally different, each expression unique.
Once Upon A Time:
Creating lasting books of the photos that you like best
Say hey with photos of your pet
Why, oh why? Some questions answered.
Faster Shutters for fast wings
Movin' on up (to a digital SLR)
Terrifying words, "Manual Mode"
What’s wrong with this picture?
Light is your paint, your camera the brush
Light to illuminate, shadow to shape
Confused to confident: Choosing a new camera
Five good reasons to make the switch from film to digital photography
Desert Photography Primer by Chris Wray
- (1 of 5) - Basic Knowledge & Exposure
- (2 of 5) - Desert Landscapes
- (3 of 5) - Types of Desert Light
- (4 of 5) - Details & Close-ups
- (5 of 5) - Black & White Photography
Click here to see a video about photography at the Sand Dunes.
Other DesertUSA Resources
Related Books & Gifts - Trading Post
Desert Safety Tips
Share this page on Facebook:
DesertUSA Newsletter -- We send articles on hiking, camping and places to explore, as well as animals, wildflower reports, plant information and much more. Sign up below or read more about the DesertUSA newsletter here. (It's Free.)
The Desert Environment
The North American Deserts
Desert Geological Terms