Indio is one of the largest gateways to Joshua Tree National Park, where the Colorado and Mojave Deserts come together to form some of the most unique geological displays known to man. The City of Indio is located 130 miles east of Los Angeles, CA and it can be accessed from interstate 10. Indio is located at the eastern end of the Coachella Valley, which is composed of nine cities: Desert Hot Springs, Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho, Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, La Quinta, Palm Springs, and Coachella.
The total permanent population numbers 180,000, with a seasonal rise to approximately 240,000. Indio is also home to several polo clubs and equestrian events. During the winter season visitors enjoy golf, watching polo games and explore the shopping areas located throughout the Valley.
Weather / Climate
Indio has a warm, dry climate. Known for 354 days of sunshine and less than 6 inchesof rain annually, winter temperatures average in the 70s with nights in the mid-40s. The dry desert heat of summer pushes daytime temperatures to the 100s, a special joy to Europeans. The winter months bring in snow birds from colder areas who enjoy the temperate winter climate.
Population / Elevation84,393 , 13 feet above sea level
Events & Festivals Renowned as the City of Festivals, Indio’s major events attract nearly one million visitors annually. Each year, Indio is playing a larger role in the huge tourism industry for which the Coachella Valley is so famous.
- Southwest Arts Festival (January) call 760-347-0676 or visit www.SouthwestArtsFest.com
- Date Festival & Riverside County Fair (February) Fair Office at (760) 863-8247 or www.datefest.org
- Desert Circuit HITS Horse Show
- World-Class Polo at Empire Polo Club January - March - www.empirepolo.com
- Coachella Fest- Music / Concert (April) - http://coachella.com
- Stagecoach - California's Country Music Festival (April) - http://stagecoachfestival.com
- Salsa Festival (April) (760) 831-0231
- Country Fest (May) - (323) 930-7100
- Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival (May) www.coachella.com
- 4th of July Festival (July) (760) 391-4175
- Indian Powwow (Nov.- Thanksgiving Weekend) Call (760) 238-5770 or visit
- Tamale Festival - December 760-342-6532 - www.TamaleFestival.net
Camping & RV Parks There are commercial and public locations for camping and RVs in and near Indio. For a complete list contact: Indio - Chamber of Commerce 760-347-0676
Palm Springs Desert Resorts Convention & Visitors Bureau 760.770.9000
Related DesertUSA Pages
- How to Turn Your Smartphone into a Survival Tool
- 26 Tips for Surviving in the Desert
- Death by GPS
- 7 Smartphone Apps to Improve Your Camping Experience
- Maps Parks and More
- Desert Survival Skills
- How to Keep Ice Cold in the Desert
- Desert Rocks, Minerals & Geology Index
- Preparing an Emergency Survival Kit
- Get the Best Hotel and Motel Rates
Share this page on Facebook:
DesertUSA Newsletter -- We send articles on hiking, camping and places to explore, as well as animals, wildflower reports, plant information and much more. Sign up below or read more about the DesertUSA newsletter here. (It's Free.)